Pediatric (Children’s) Dentistry
Early care of children’s teeth means healthy teeth for life
Children – just like adults – should be seen by a dentist twice a year so your Roomchang dentist can detect and correct problems early . And by establishing a pattern of regular treatment and quick attention to small problems before they expand, you and your Roomchang dentist can ensure a lifetime of good oral health for your children.
Tooth decay in children often leads to pain and infection, sometimes requiring the tooth to be extracted. By regularly treating teeth – for example, sealing permanent molars with a special coating soon after they erupt to prevent tooth decay from developing and by applying fluoride to the teeth for added protection – you are investing in your child’s smile for life.
Roomchang’s pediatric specialists are trained in the latest techniques for children, who can be treated under sedation or general anesthesia if necessary to assure their comfort during their visit to the dentist. And our friendly administrative staffs are skilled at easing the concerns of the youngest Roomchang patient.
Some people question whether it is important to care for a child’s primary teeth. Studies have shown that children with healthy primary teeth are more likely to have healthy permanent teeth. Healthy primary teeth not only lessen the chance of pain and infections, but also hold healthy places for permanent teeth. Extraction of primary teeth often increases the need for orthodontics.
A child’s first primary teeth – usually the two lower central incisors – begin erupting at six to eight months of age, followed by the top front teeth. By the time a child is 2 ½ to 3 years old, all 20 teeth (10 upper jaw and 10 in the lower jaw) have come in.
At about age 6 the permanent teeth begin to erupt, gradually replacing primary teeth over the next six years. By age 12 all primary teeth have usually been replaced. Your Roomchang dentist must closely monitor the development of the teeth to ensure your child’s beautiful smile.
How to care for your child’s teeth
Proper dental care starts with daily brushing with a smear of fluoride toothpaste, preferably starting before the child’s first birthday. In addition to providing regular brushing, parents should also monitor the amount of sweet foods and drinks their children consume to limit the amount of tooth-harming sugar in their diet.
Parents should bring their child to visit Roomchang’s pediatrist twice a year. Our carefully trained specialists can provide many preventive measures to keep your child’s teeth healthy, including oral health education, topical fluorides and fissure sealants.
Treatment options for your child’s teeth
Roomchang provides a wide variety of choices for your child’s teeth, including:
- Fillings – replacing decayed teeth with filling material.
- Sealants – Permanent molars should be fissure sealed with a special coating to prevent tooth decay.
- Fluorides – applied to teeth for added protection.
- Pulp treatment – in cases where decay has invaded the pulp, your Roomchang dentist will need to perform a root canal treatment to save the tooth.
- Crowns – Roomchang offers high grade crowns for children.
- Sedation and general anesthesia – for young patients with extreme anxiety about visiting the dentist, Roomchang offers a range of anesthesia options.
- Radiographs (x-rays) – these show your Roomchang dentist if decay is developing between the teeth as well as indicating if there is any infection in the bone.