Composite Resins for restorations
Today, dentists and patients have several choices when it comes to the materials that are used to restore teeth that have fractured or decayed. If you’re looking for a more natural-looking filling, then a composite resin filling may be a good choice for you.
Composite resin is a mixture of plastic and powdered glass that mimics the natural appearance of the tooth. Composite resin fillings are used to make cosmetic improvements to your teeth, such as changing the color of the teeth, restoring decayed teeth, repairing chipped teeth, closing gaps between the teeth and making teeth appear more even.
The dentist prepares the resin and applies it in layers to the tooth. A special curing light is used to harden each layer. Once the hardening process is complete, the dentist shapes the composite to fit your tooth. Then the composite is smoothed and polished to prevent staining and premature wear. Roomchang uses GC’s G-ænial Universal Flo and Solar for composite resin fillings.
Some benefits of tooth-colored resin fillings are:
- They look more aesthetically pleasing since they match your natural tooth color and appearance.
- They require less drilling, so not as much tooth structure needs to be removed.
- They harden in seconds instead of days like other materials.
- They bond to the tooth giving it greater strength, which helps prevent breaks.
- They can be repaired if damaged.